Media for Citizens, Citizens for Media – Building capacities of CSOs to advance Media and Information Literacy in Western Balkans
The project aims at strengthening the role of civil society in advocating for advancement of Media and Information Literacy (MIL) policies and practices in the Western Balkan countries through regional networking and building capacities of CSOs at local level. The project supports national MIL coalitions advocating for systemic improvements in media and education policies; it contributes to increase of capacities and cooperation of CSOs at regional/local level to advance MIL; it also aims at improving CSOs’ outreach to citizens to increase awareness on importance of free and accountable media.
Advancing Media & Information Literacy in the Western Balkans
Seven media development organizations in the Western Balkans have joined forces under an EU funded project ’Media for Citizens – Citizens for Media’ to build capacities of CSOs to advance media and information literacy (MIL) in the region.
The project (2018 – 2021) strives to contribute to strengthened and vibrant civil society actively advocating for advancement of MIL policies and practices in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia.
What will the project do?
- Research reports will map the current state of MIL policies and practices in each country and the region as the basis for following activities.
- MIL coalitions will be formed in each country as inter-sectorial working groups to draft advocacy plans and coordinate their implementation, supported by advocacy campaigns.
- MIL Regional Screenshot, a one-day event, will gather various stakeholders, activists/experts and practitioners in Novi Sad, Serbia, for a regional exchange on how to advance MIL.
- MIL Summer Festival will gather some 150 participants in Ohrid, Macedonia for educational workshops, expert panels and networking sessions featuring leading regional and EU-based experts so as to exchange knowledge and practice on innovative and creative digital solutions for promoting and teaching MIL.
- Training future trainers will create a regional pool of 50 MIL trainers to train civil society organizations eager to advance and promote MIL across the region.
- 40 MIL initiatives by civil society organizations will be funded by this project to raise awareness and educate about MIL and its importance.
- Online campaigns will put in the spotlight the views about MIL of journalists, teachers and citizens – students, parents, the elderly – as the main protagonists.
- “Journalism for Citizens” will bring renowned journalists into high schools to bring MIL closer to students focusing on media freedom and critical understanding of media contents.
Follow “Media for Citizens – Citizens for Media“!
You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any information about the project.
- Lead partner: Media Center Sarajevo
- Partners: Novi Sad School of Journalism, Montenegro Media Institute, Macedonian Institute for Media, Albanian Media Institute, regional network SEENPM.