Public call for candidates for junior researchers in 2023 in the interdisciplinary research field
Peace Institute, Metelkova 6, Ljubljana, pursuant to Article 27 of the Act of Recipients of Stable Funding (hereinafter: the Act) and the General Act on Stable Funding of Scientific Research Activity (Official Gazette of the RS, No. 87/22), publishes a public call for candidates for junior researchers in the year 2023.
- The subject matter of the call for applications
The subject matter of the call for applications is the selection of a junior researcher who will begin training for a PhD in 2023 under the conditions indicated in the table.
|· Computational social science, digital humanities and sociology.
|· Veronika Bajt, PhD, Peace Institute;
· Senja Pollak, PhD, Jožef Stefan Institute.
|· Peace Institute, Equality and Human Rights in the Age of Global Governance.
|· Jožef Stefan International Postgraduate School, Information and Communication Technologies programme.
|Possible research topics
|· Hate speech and the digital/online environment.
· Computational analysis of nationalism and racism.
· Computational analysis of online generation of Us/Them exclusion.
· Other topics in agreement with the candidate.
|Description of the research work
|· The candidate will develop/apply natural language processing methods for the recognition and analysis of hate speech, nationalism and racism, and representations of Us/Others or similar topics.
· The work will be interdisciplinary; the emphasis will be on developing approaches that enable the social science interpretation of computational models and the production of computational tools that support the testing of social science hypotheses and findings.
- Developing an interdisciplinary research field that combines computational social science, digital humanities and social science knowledge.
- The possibility of long-term cooperation after completing the doctoral degree; the possibility of training or participation even before the start of studies, subject to agreement.
- The possibility of education and career development.
- Participation in international conferences.
- Working in international research groups.
- Working in an engaged team that cultivates good relationships and cares for a healthy working environment.
- Date of commencement of employment
The anticipated commencement of employment is 1 October 2023. The training of junior researchers shall be financed until the completion of the doctoral studies, but for a maximum of four years. The selected candidate must be separately enrolled in the PhD programme in Information and Communication Technologies at the Jožef Stefan International Postgraduate School, and submit a certificate of enrolment to the Peace Institute before concluding the employment contract. Tuition for doctoral studies shall be paid by the employer.
- Basic requirements regarding the education
Applications are invited from candidates who will have completed their second-cycle university studies by 15 September 2023:
- Social sciences / humanities majors, with some knowledge of programming or
- Computing / technical majors, with an interest in social sciences or
- Interdisciplinary courses.
- Conditions that candidates must meet
- The candidate has not yet completed a doctorate or obtained the PhD title.
- Has not yet been employed as a junior researcher.
- Has completed a second-cycle university study programme or has a comparable education obtained at universities abroad, or will complete a second-cycle study programme by 15 September 2023.
- The average grade of all exams and practical classes in the first-cycle study programme and the second-cycle study programme shall be at least 8,00.
- No more than four years have passed from the completion of the previous studies to the start of employment (the date on the diploma/master’s certificate is taken into account). The limit shall be extended above four years if the junior researcher has already completed one or two years of third-cycle doctoral studies without financial support; namely, one year shall be added for each completed year. If the junior researcher candidate has taken parental leave of at least six months, with one year taken into account for one child, the limit shall be extended above four years. The same applies to illness lasting at least six months, whereby the limit shall be extended for the duration of the applicant’s documented sickness absence.
- Foreign nationals or candidates who have completed their studies abroad must have all the necessary documentation for employment in the Republic of Slovenia in order before concluding the employment contract. We can assist with this.
- Desired competences and knowledge
- Ability to work individually and in groups.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Interest in scientific research.
- Responsibility, articulateness, ingenuity, self-initiative, precision and independence.
- Interdisciplinary education, knowledge or experience (in the field of social sciences/humanities and computer science).
- Programming skills in natural language processing, text data analysis or machine learning.
- Criteria for evaluating candidates
- The average grade of the second-cycle study programme or a study programme that meets the conditions for enrolment in the doctoral study programme.
- Enrollment in a third-cycle study programme (0.50 points).
- Awards (1.00 points).
- Other awards or recognitions (0.50 points for each).
- Professional and scientific publications (1.00 points for authorship or a proportional part for co-authorship).
- Participation in research work (up to 3.00 points).
- Evaluation of the interview with the candidate (up to 10.00 points).
- Mandatory application elements
- Curriculum vitae.
- Motivation letter (maximum one A4 page).
- Completed and signed application form.
- Proof of education (photocopy of a second-cycle diploma or a statement that the candidate will graduate or certify the diploma by 15 September 2023 inclusive (the documentation must be submitted to the Peace Institute by this date).
- Certificate of the average grade of all passed exams and practical classes during the second-cycle undergraduate study (without the diploma grade).
- Optional application elements
- Evidence of received awards and recognitions;
- List of published scientific articles with abstracts;
- Proof of possible previous participation in research work.
- Application submission method and deadlines
The application form labelled “Call for Applications for JR SOCIAL SCIENCES – Do not open” must arrive by mail at the Peace Institute, Metelkova 6, 1000 Ljubljana, by 30 April 2023. The Peace Institute will conduct interviews and selection of candidates no later than 15 June 2023.
The deadline for applications for the public call for junior researchers at the Peace Institute has been extended to 15 May 2023. Applications can also be submitted by email to email@example.com.
- Additional information
For additional information, please call +386 1 234 77 20 (Monika Bohinec) every weekday between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. or email firstname.lastname@example.org.