Projects in 2020
In 2020 four new projects (Occupational risks in sex work at the intersections of policy framework and social stigma – ORIS, Voices of immigrant women, Early Care and the Role of Men – EcaRoM and Populist Backlash, Democratic Backsliding, and the Crisis of the Rule of Law in the European Union) were attained. We continued with the implementation of the research program Equality and Human Rights in the Age of Global Governance that addresses the position of the concepts of human rights, equality, diversity and non-discrimination that found themselves at a historical crossroads and 25 projects in the fields of human rights and minorities, politics, gender and the media. By the end of the year, certain projects were completed.
Occupational risks in sex work at the intersections of policy framework and social stigma (ORIS)
Project duration: 1/9/2020 – 31/8/2023
It has often been emphasized in the academic literature that policies on prostitution do not consider the real needs of sex workers, but are underpinned with efforts to protect morality, safety and public health, or used to reinforce migration and border control regimes, resulting in repression, exclusion and segregation of sex workers. Our previous research confirms that sex workers in Slovenia are a marginalized and discriminated social group excluded from public life, spaces and the creation of state policies. The state addresses prostitution exclusively through criminal legislation, a policy practice that corresponds with the concept of »governing through crime« (Simon 2007) that places security above all other areas of state’s functioning, ignores non-repressive responses to social problems and creates a culture of fear.
The project aims at developing a methodological and theoretical framework that foregrounds voices and interests of sex workers and to investigate pathways to sex worker’s empowerment – increased agency, autonomy and human rights – through policy building and policy execution. The project approaches the research problem from the perspective of occupational risks and harm reduction, which we assess enables to the highest possible extend a non-judgmental research of the field and by this most objective data on the experiences, situation and needs of sex workers.
Voices of immigrant women
Project duration: 1/10/2020 – 30/9/2022
In a context where the number of international displacements is increasing as a consequence of “conflicts, persecution, situations of degradation and environmental change” (Report on Migrations in the World, 2017), the importance of guaranteeing “security, order and regularity of migration, fully respecting Human Rights” (Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations, 2015) is a crucial aspect.
In the last years, in Europe, migration is also at the core of social and political conflicts, around the material costs for the societies and the threat to the national identities. In this context, where female migrations represent 50% of population movements, the inclusion of a gender perspective in international migrations is essential.
The project will contribute to “building an inclusive higher education system” by addressing the major societal challenge represented by migrations and, more specifically, women’s migratory flows in the present European context. Expected results are mapping of Case Studies and Success Stories of integration of migrant in the different European partners’ countries, transnational and interdisciplinary training e-learning program on “Human Mobility, Integration and Gender” in the European context, and policy recommendation (the project will provide a set of practically oriented intervention proposal to policymakers).
Projects’ website: https://viw.pixel-online.org/
Human Rights and Minorities
- Migrant Children and Communities in a Transforming Europe (MICREATE) | Project duration: 1/1/2019 – 31/12/2021
The overall objective of the project is to stimulate inclusion of diverse groups of migrant children by adopting child-centered approach to migrant children integration on educational and policy level.
- Reducing and eliminating discrimination based on ethnicity, ‘race’, nationality and/or religion | Project duration: 1/11/2019 – 31/10/2021
The project will contribute to reducing discrimination in society and hence to the promotion of human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- Trial Waiver Systems in Europe (TWSE) | Project duration: 1/11/2019 – 31/10/2021
The objective of the project is to develop practical, country-specific understanding of the impact of trial waiver systems on the right to a fair trial.
- National Integration Evaluation Mechanism (NIEM). Measuring and improving integration of beneficiaries of international protection | Project duration: 1/10/2015 – 30/9/2021
Against the background of the changing legal environment on international protection both at national and European levels, induced by the high numbers of new arrivals in the recent years….
- Human Rights Guide | Project duration: 1/11/2019 – 31/8/2021
The Human Rights Guide is an online information and education resource and a self-help tool.
- ARVID – Advancing Access to Rights under Victims’ Directive for Persons with Disabilities | Project duration: 1/1/2020 – 30/6/2021
The project aims to investigate the level of participation of persons with disabilities in the criminal justice proceedings.
- EWSI – European Web Site on Integration | Project duration: 3/1/2011 – 31/12/2021
The European Web Site on Integration (EWSI) is a unique source of information on immigrant integration in Europe.
- The Break in Tradition: Hannah Arendt and Conceptual Change | Project duration: 1/7/2019 – 30/6/2022
This project uses Hannah Arendt’s thesis of the “break of tradition” and the consequences of this break for political theory.
- Segmentation of non-standard employment in Slovenia | Project duration: 1/7/2018 – 30/6/2021
The main objective of the research is to clarify (identification of causes) the inter-sectoral segmentation of non-standard work and its social effects in Slovenia.
- Resilience: Civil Society for Media Free of Hate and Disinformation | Project duration: 1/2/2020 – 31/1/2022
The project ‘s aim is to reaffirm media freedom and counter disinformation and hateful propaganda in Western Balkans and Turkey’.
- Media for Citizens, Citizens for Media – Building capacities of CSOs to advance Media and Information Literacy in Western Balkans | Project duration: 1/2/2018 – 31/12/2021
The project aims at strengthening the role of civil society in advocating for advancement of Media and Information Literacy (MIL) policies and practices in the Western Balkan countries.
- Political and Media Populism: “Refugee crisis” in Slovenia and Austria | Project duration: – 31/12/2021
This research investigates the nexus between political parties, media and populism with regard to the so-called “refugee crisis” (2015-2016 until today) in. Slovenia and Austria.
- BEHAVE – SEE Beyond Hate: Learning and Acting to Counter Hate Speech Online in South East Europe | Project duration: 1/1/2020 – 30/6/2021
The project aims at mutual learning on countering hate speech online and at responding to hate narratives in Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia, countries on the Balkan migration route.
- Men in Care. Workplace support for caring masculinities (MiC) | Project duration: 15/3/2019 – 15/3/2022
The European project MiC aims to improve organizational conditions for men taking caring roles.
- Action Dad | Project duration: 1/3/2020 – 28/2/2022
Contribution to awareness-raising of (prospective) parents, employers, the professional and general public about the importance of actively involving men in paternity and a more equal distribution of parental care…
Human Rights and Minorities
- MIPEX – The Migrant Integration Policy Index | Project duration: 15/10/2019 – 15/12/2020
The Migrant Integration Policy Index (MIPEX) is a unique tool which measures policies to integrate migrants in countries across five continents.
- NHRI: Strengthening the rights of persons suspected or accused in criminal proceedings – the role of National Human Rights Institutions | Project duration: 1/3/2018 – 13/12/2020
The project aims to rengthen the role of NHRIs in ensuring an effective and coherent application of EU legal instruments and strengthening of suspects and accused rights.
- Solidarity-Equality-Sameness | Project duration: 1/1/2020 – 30/6/2020
The main objective of the project is to inform students on a multifaceted basis about migration with a goal to break stereotypes, fear and hatred.
- CISUR – Enhancing Judicial Cooperation on the Implementation of the Succession Regulation in Croatia and Slovenia | Project duration: 1/12/2018 – 31/7/2020
The main goal of the project is to assess the extent to which Croatia and Slovenia have successfully implemented the Regulation and the national implementing legislation.
- Sustainable. Local. Global. | Project duration: 1/1/2018 – 15/10/2020
International development cooperation, humanitarian assistance and global learning, and increasing the visibility of global goals that the countries of the world adopted in September 2015.
- Defending watchdog role of civil society and journalists in Slovenia | Project duration: 1/1/2019 – 30/6/2020
The project aims to strengthen the capacities of journalists in Slovenia for efficient response and gaining public support.
- Resources, methods and tools for the understanding, identification and classification of various forms of socially unacceptable discourse in the information society | Project duration: 1/5/2017 – 1/5/2020
First comprehensive interdisciplinary treatment of linguistic, sociological, legal and technological dimensions of different forms of socially unacceptable discourse.
- Hate speech on online social networks in Slovenia | Project duration: 1/4/2018 – 31/3/2020
The occurrence of hate speech in the Slovene language in the corresponding parts of global online social networks (OSNs).
- Masculinities, equality, care practices – MESP | Project duration: 1/5/2017 – 1/5/2020
Project MESP is researching participation of men in heterogeneous geographies of care; it widens and politicizes the concept of care and contributes to the developing alternative perspectives of welfare.
- Education and economic empowerment of vulnerable groups of women in Rwanda | Project duration: 1/1/2018 – 15/10/2020
To increase literacy and economic independence of vulnerable groups of women/girls in selected four local environments in Rwanda and to contribute to reduction of differences between women and men.